Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Right or Left… You Decide.

It is not everyday that a new invention comes along that changes the way we do things. We can all think of the big ones of course, the water wheel, the printing press, the radio. Even, God forbid, the cell phone. But I think I have the next big thing. I know. That is quite a statement. What could possibly be as important as the printing press? What possible difference could a new invention make to enter the pantheon of these other great inventions? Well here it is…

Directional blinkers for cars.

Yep. Think about it. What would the world be like if suddenly there was a way to determine which direction the other drivers on the road were intending on going? Can you imagine that world? There would be no question on whether that car coming towards you was going to turn right or left to enter a driveway or another street. Perhaps we could tell if another car were about to pass on the highway. We ourselves, with the simple flick of a lever could signal to others our own intentions. The potential is almost limitless! I think I'll call them – Signal Lights!

What's that you say? They already exist? No! Impossible! Not from what I saw on the way to work today. You would think if they existed then people would use them more often!

I know, I know. Sarcasm -- the lowest form of humour. But what can I say. I find it amazing that people refuse to indicate which direction they intend on going. Not only that, but we now have a television show dedicated to those people who, it seems, skipped out on their driver's education classes. The producers of this show scour the country looking for the speeders, nervous Nellie's and the directionally challenged. They pull them all into a secluded location and try to teach them the proper way to drive. They then broadcast the ensuing insanity for all to see.

I have a better idea. Why not hold mandatory refresher testing at set intervals? Maybe people would pay more attention to their driving and the habits we all pick up. Think you don't need it? Great! Just challenge the test and if you pass fine. But what of those who don't pass the test? Well, at least they have a chance to become better drivers and perhaps our wallets, and insurance companies, will thank us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Sarcasm rocks and when it comes to driving almost nothing makes me more angry then people who don't use their signal lights...except for maybe that guy in front of me the other day that went 30 over the bridge in good weather...and then couldn't decide what lane he should be in once we got on King George...and you know...he didn't seem to know about his signal lights either...