Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I Went To A Fight And A Hockey Game Broke Out

Recently the debate over fighting in professional hockey has arisen again. The catalyst this time was the death of a player after he fell and hit his head on the ice during a fight. This debate has been going on probably since the first puck hit the ice. I don't imagine it will end anytime soon, but I do have a few thoughts on the subject (Surprise, Surprise right?).

I know I am inviting the wrath of most Canadians when I say I am not a big hockey fan. Wait before you throw something! The reason being is the fighting. I used to enjoy hockey. I liked reading about it, going to the games and even playing (badly) from time to time. But at some point I got tired of watching people punch each other in the head, when all I wanted, was to see a game played well by those who got paid well to do it. Do I hate hockey? No. I still watch from time to time. I particularly enjoy the Olympic Women's team. The games are fast. Skill levels are high and the games are exciting and there is no fighting. I'm afraid I can't say the same for the NHL.

The last NHL game I watched was like a bar brawl that was periodically interrupted by hockey. Plays were sloppy, action was slow and the game was continually interrupted by penalties and fighting. Why? From what I could see, there was no reason for most of the fighting that took place. Oh, yes, I know that the game is rough, lots of checking and pushing and running into one another. Tempers will undoubtedly get frayed. Frustration will increase and words will be exchanged. But why punch someone in the head because of that?

I often don't agree with my co-workers. Sometimes we argue. Tempers get frayed and frustration enters the picture. Do I haul off and paste them with a right cross? Nope. Unacceptable behaviour in the workplace right? Right. So my question is, are these grown men in the NHL playing a game or are they working? If they are working (and from the millions of dollars they make in salaries, it seems they are) and the arena is a workplace, then fighting should be just as unacceptable there as it is in any other place of business. Right?

If we are going to pay players outrageous amounts of money for their performances then they should perform. We shouldn't have to watch barbarians beat on one another. Failing that, then lets treat the sport like what it is—a game. Something you do to pass the time and have some fun while you're doing it. No need to pay them to do that is there?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Doug, were you listening to the CBC yesterday? The title of your latest entry was running through my mind as I listened to them chat it up about to fight or not to fight. I totally agree with you about the woman's Olympic hockey. It's really great to watch. But come on...just once, drop the chalk and have at'er. Someone you work with must deserve to be swung at. :)