Thursday, February 19, 2009

Weather, Weather Everywhere

Well, it looks like we are in for another snow storm tonight. For some reason I always have to smile when it comes to the weather. I can think of no other subject that causes so much discussion and that we can do so little about. "Is it hot enough for you?" "Is it cold enough for you?" I wish we would have more sun." I wish it wasn't so hot." "It's too humid." Any of these ring a bell? Just about the only thing we don't wish for when it comes to the weather is rain.

As anyone who lives around here knows, the weather changes almost minute by minute (or seems to) and that must make it terrible for radio announcers and the like to try and keep up with the current conditions. I remember once when listening to the radio, the announcer, in a very authoritative voice declared that there was no chance of rain and that the humidity was 65%. I just happened to be looking out the window at the downpour happening and thought, "Looks to be about 100% humidity now." Why the guy could not just look out the window at the radio station is beyond me.

Looking at today's forecast, makes me laugh. In big bold letters in a red banner the website proclaims, "Winter Storm Watch". All I can think of is a bunch of people hiding out in their houses and peeking through the curtains, waiting for the first few flakes of snow. Like the storm is going to jump out from around the corner, "WATCH OUT! HERE IT COMES!" It's weather, for Pete's sake, not a horror movie.

I think we should all stop worrying about the weather—it happens every day. I know everyone has their preference for weather. Not everyone likes hot weather, some people like it when it's cold. But, hot or cold, sunny or snowy, you have to look on the bright side. At least it keeps us all entertained enough to keep talking about it. I can think of some television shows that might wish for that kind of attention.

No comments: