Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Love I$ In The Air

Well, the commercial holiday known the world over as Valentine's Day is almost upon us and the universal conundrum (known to everyone in a relationship at this time of year) is rearing it's ugly head again—what to get for that special someone in your life. Aside from the fact that the day is presently a vastly overrated 'holiday' and that it is a concoction of the evil empire run by greeting card companies, chocolate makers and florists, I still feel obligated to get my bride something. Should I really have to feel obligated to show my love for her by spending hard earned money on something that will, 1) get thrown in the trash (a card), 2) make her fat (chocolate), or 3) wither and die and then get thrown in the trash (flowers)? Not to mention the fact that, any and all of these items can be purchased on any day after February 14th for less than half the price that they are sold for leading up to that date.

Why do we all feel the need to bow to the pressures of this one particular day? I have heard it said that it is because of a guy named Valentine and the love he showed to his captors while he was in jail for crimes of a dubious nature. Alright, but which Valentine? There are at least 7 Saints listed by the Catholic Church in its official Roman Martyrology. Is it the priest who was martyred, the bishop who died, the other bishop who died, the priest who lived as a hermit or the Spanish guy who lived as a hermit, the guy who was martyred or the other guy who was martyred? Would the Valentine who we all owe our gratitude to for starting this whole 'romantic' mess please stand up! O.K., so like most of the things we celebrate in the world, the origins of the exercise are foggy at best.

So by now you are probably saying to yourself "Wow, his wife is in for a great day, come Saturday!" Well guess what? She is. I will clean the house. I will take her out for dinner. I will take her to a movie, and if I can swing it, I will find somewhere for the kids to go so we can enjoy some romance when we get home. Will I spend money on useless junk that she neither needs nor wants? Nope.

So even if you feel the need to spend outrageous amounts of money this Saturday, enjoy the company of your significant other this weekend. Think about the fact that they put up with you. I know I'm lucky to have a bride who will put up with me. Few others would! Especially after this!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You ol' smoothy. :)The day after Valentines Day is better anyway really...half price Valentines Chocolates makes an excellent birthday present for yours truly!