Sunday, March 15, 2009

What Makes The Wind Blow?

I know that many people who know me and my sense of humour often wonder how my loving bride puts up with me. My range of humour goes from sarcastic to ridiculous. I can usually find something humorous in almost any situation. This can be a good thing sometimes, when the mood needs lightening. At other times… maybe not so much. I love to grab on to something and tease the person mercilessly. It helps that I have a good memory. I can store away little bits of information about someone or an event and then bring it out at the most opportune time to cause the most hilarity, at least for me. Kind of a humour blitzkrieg.

I remember in university when my phone number was a couple of digits off from the local pizza place. From time to time my roommates and I would get calls from people wanting to order pizza. Eventually, I began to get sick of this and started to take orders. "It will be ready in twenty minutes sir." Bad, I know. But eventually people began to dial the right number and the calls stopped and I had fun doing it. And no, the pizza place did not go out of business.

My wife is (thank God) a very understanding and tolerant woman. She puts up with me day in and day out and often just smiles and nods at my observations. I know my kids often get fed up with my antics, but what can I say? While travelling, I often hear from the back seat, "Are we there yet?" I just smile and reply, "Nope, we're still here." Drives them nuts! What else are kids for, right?

I remember once, when my daughter was quite young, she said to me "Daddy, look at the wind blowing the trees!" I wish I could adequately describe the look of utter confusion and wonder that came over her face when I gave her my answer. I knelt down to her level and looked her straight in the eye. Then I said to her with a completely straight face, "How do you now the wind is blowing the trees? Maybe the trees are moving and making the wind!"

No comments: